Board of Directors Description
Basic Function: The Board of Directors is the ultimate decision-making body of the Chamber and is the primary force leading the Chamber to fulfill the Chamber’s purpose of advancing the commercial, industrial, and professional interests of the community of Pleasant Hill and to realize it’s opportunities to serve Chamber members.
Responsible for establishing the direction of and policy for the Chamber; promoting the Chamber; actively leading the Chamber; serving as an active member of the Chamber; serving as a common liaison; and ensuring the continued vitality of the Chamber. Directors shall avoid all conflicts of interest.
- Promote the Chamber: Members of the Board of Directors are ambassadors for the Chamber. As such, Directors shall promote a positive image of the Chamber to members, prospective members, public officials, and the community at large. Directors shall actively seek to expand the Chamber’s membership.
- Actively Lead the Chamber: Directors regularly attend Board of Directors meetings and offer input on issues facing the Chamber. When unable to attend a Board meeting, Directors remain abreast of developments occurring at the meeting. Directors shall not miss more than three meetings per year without a valid reason. Directors take other appropriate leadership roles within the Chamber, including: sharing and/or sitting on standing committees. Members of the Board of Directors regularly attend and actively participate in the Chamber events, Chamber fundraising events, business after hour events, and other Chamber functions as needed.
- Serve as an Community Liaison: Directors shall serve as a contact between the community and the Chamber; bring to the attention of the Board community-related concerns impacting any Chamber members’ interest; and work to resolve such concerns. If requested by the President to do so, Directors shall serve on an outside advisory board and/or committee.
- Ensure the Continued Vitality of the Chamber: Continually assess the dynamic environment in which the Chamber operates and develop strategies to improve the Chamber within it; analyze and approve the Chamber’s financials; monitor the performance of the Executive Director; monitor performance of the standing committees; remain informed of the financial situation of the Chamber; be assured that published reports properly reflect operating results and financial condition of the Chamber; and review compliance with relevant laws affecting the Chamber.
- Establish the Direction of and Policy for the Chamber: Members of the Board of Directors raise policy concerns with the Executive Committee and other members of the Board of Directors, and consider, draft, and adopt policies to maintain an efficient, effective Chamber. Directors may be expected to chair or sit on a committee designed to develop policies of a specific or general nature.
- Avoid Conflict of Interest: In the event a Board Member’s personal or individual business interests conflict with the interests of the Chamber, the Director shall remove himself or herself from consideration of issues(s) on which the Director’s judgement may be compromised. When involved with Chamber matters, Directors shall avoid any appearance of impropriety.
Applications are due to the Chamber office by end of day Monday, October 9th.